Police & Fire Career Articles of Interest RSS
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER TRAINEE SALARY: $36,094.77
After graduating our eight week training academy: Salary $39,361.80
Supervise and maintain security of inmates and correctional facilities. Perform related duties as required.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Maintain an accurate count of inmates and equipment in assigned areas
Uphold facility security
Manage emergency situations
Maintain proper documentation
Search for contraband and contraband usage
Maintain facility sanitation
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stresses which require a range of safety and other precautions.
This classification works in a correctional environment that requires physical stamina and exposure to hazardous and stressful situations. For example, employees must be able to respond quickly to an emergency; defend themselves or others against physical attack; force an inmate to the ground and apply restraints; and, with assistance, pull an inmate out of danger during an emergency situation. Employees are exposed to chemical agents used to debilitate non-compliant inmates.
Employees are frequently required to stand, walk, and key information into a computer. Employees must be able to operate all equipment in a correctional environment such as security locks, restraints, flashlights, and radios. Employees will often perform duties in confined spaces. Employees must be able to reach, stoop, push or pull, bend, crouch, and crawl. Employees must be able to finger, grasp, and have sensation in their hands. Employees must have no restrictions to fumes, chemicals, or smells. Employees must be able to perform all functions of a correctional officer, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Employees within this classification are considered essential to the safe operation of the correctional facility. Employees are to work as scheduled. Employees must be able to work various shifts, extended shifts, weekends, and holidays. Employees within this classification are subject to movement between correctional facilities or duty locations based on agency need.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to physically restrain violent or unruly individuals
Ability to respond to emergency situations
Ability to work in a stressful and physically demanding environment
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Ability to complete required training designed for the position
Ability to supervise and manage inmates regardless of charge or background
Ability to deal courteously with the public
Ability to write accurate records and reports
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or state-approved equivalent.
Candidates must have reached their twenty-first birthday at the time of hiring.
HOLIDAYS- Employees are paid for 11 (eleven) holidays per year. They include New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving and the following Friday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
SICK LEAVE- Employees earn twelve (12) sick days per year, accrued one day a month to a maximum of 120 days. An employee must be in a paid status the entire month in order to earn a sick day.
VACATION- Employees earn vacation according to a schedule. The first five (5) years, employees earn 80 hours; 5 to 10 years, 120 hours; then additional 8 hours for each additional year, up to a maximum of 200 hours per year after 20 years of service. An employee can accrue the last two (2) years’ earnings, plus the current employment year. An employee must be in a paid status the entire month in order to earn a vacation day.
PERSONAL LEAVE- Employees will receive 24 hours to use each year beginning on January 1st which must be used by the end of that calendar year.
MILITARY LEAVE- Employees who are members of any military reserve component will be granted military training leave, with pay, for field training or active duty, for a period not to exceed 160 hours each calendar year. Leave with pay is not permitted for initial basic training or for weekend drills. Vacation or leave without pay may be used for reservists ordered to duty, weekend drills and/or training maneuvers.
PENSION BENEFITS- The pension program is funded completely by contributions from the city; employees do not contribute to the plan. Effective January 1, 2013, full retirement for public safety is at age 53 with 22 years of service. Early retirement at reduced benefits is available at age 45 with 10 years of service. Benefits are based on a formula which considers years of service and average salary for the highest-paid five years of service. Full vesting takes ten (10) years; there is no partial vesting. Pensioners continue to receive medical insurance, 75% city paid, 25% pensioner paid.
MEDICAL/LIFE INSURANCE BENEFITS- Employees who work 20 or more hours per week must either participate in a medical and dental insurance program or show proof of other coverage to opt out of this mandatory covered benefit. Medical programs are paid 75% by the employer, 25% by the employee; this applies to both single and family coverage. Medical insurance options include Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS) PPO and Cigna Choice Fund.
Dental insurance is paid 100% by the employer for single coverage; the employee pays the difference if he/she elects family coverage. Two plans are offered. The traditional requires a co-payment for most services. The
DMO plan provides better benefits, but limits choice of providers.
LONGEVITY PAY- All employees with five (5) or more years of service receive longevity pay. Payments start at $110 after 5 years and increase asymmetrically to $935 after 20 years.
Town of Delanco Police Department, New Jersey Hiring - Police Officer - Class II Special Hiring - Records Clerk More Information or Apply Now
- 2018 New Jersey FireFighter Statewide Exam
- 2019 New Jersey Law Enforcement Statewide Civil Service Exam Update for Correctional Police Officer
- 2019 New Jersey Law Enforcement Statewide Civil Service Exam Update for Police Officer
- 2019 New Jersey Law Enforcement Statewide Civil Service Exam Update for Sheriffs Officer
- 2019 Suffolk County Police Exam Update New York Police Officer Opportunities
- Atlanta Police Now Hiring Police Officers
- Bridgewater Police Department Police Exam
- California Police Jobs
- Chicago Police Department Exam for Police Officer
- City of Memphis Tennessee Police Department - Now Hiring Police Officers
- Colorado Police Jobs
- Colorado State Patrol Now Hiring Cadets for Trooper Openings
- Correctional Officer Trainee for Davidson County Sheriffs Office
- Denver Police Department
- Denver Police Department Now Hiring Police Officers
- Deputy Marshal Jobs
- Fort Lauderdale Police Department Hiring for Police Officers
- Franklin Township Police Department Police Officer Exam
- Illinois Police Jobs
- Law Enforcement Careers
- Little Falls Police Department Hiring Police Officers
- Monroe County Sheriff - Jailor Job Opening Posted on Jobs4police.com
- Morris County Park Police
- Morris County Police Academy Alternate Route Police Exam
- New Jersey - Town of Delanco Police Department Now Hiring
- New Jersey Upcoming Police Tests
- Now Hiring Police Officers - Town of Palm Beach Police Department
- Open Police Jobs
- Orlando Police Department Police Officer Job Opening
- Phoenix Police Department is now hiring Police Officers
- Police Exams
- Police Job
- Police Jobs
- Police Jobs in United States
- Police Officer Oral Interview and Effective Methods of Preparation
- Roanoke Police Department Now Hiring Police Officers
- Roxbury Township Police Department Hiring Police Officers
- Security Jobs Wanted
- Tennessee Police Jobs
- Texas Police Jobs
- Town of Delanco Police Department
- Town of Palm Beach Police Department
- University of Delaware Police Department - Police Officer Job Opening
- Upcoming Police Tests Exams
- Victor Valley College Police Officer
- Virginia State Police now hiring for the position of Trooper