Monroe County Sheriff - Jailor - New York
Description of Duties
This position is responsible for assisting with maintaining the safety and security of the Monroe County Jail, overseeing the care, custody, and well-being of inmates, and tending to inmates’ daily personal needs. Work is carried out in accordance with established rules, regulations and procedures and involves substantial contact with inmates on a daily basis. Deputies are assigned to a particular unit such as Housing or Transport. Deputies report directly to, and work under the general supervision of, a higher level staff member with leeway allowed for independent judgment.
Candidates must meet the following minimum requirements on or before the date of the written exam:
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma.
Driver’s license: Applicants must possess a valid New York State Class *D* driver's license at the time of appointment.
Examination Residency Requirement:
There is no residency requirement to participate in the examination.
1. Applicants must meet physical and medical standards established by the Monroe County Civil Service Commission.
2. Psychological/Backgrounds Investigation: Applicants will be subject to an extensive pre-employment backgrounds investigation and psychological evaluation.
3. Conviction of a felony will bar appointment.
4. Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen per Public Officers Law.
5. Residency: Must be Monroe County residents per Public Officers Law.
6. Deputies must successfully complete a training course mandated by the New York State Commission of Correction during the probationary period or otherwise be removed from the position.